Swifts Spring 1 2021
In Swifts, this half term we have really enjoyed learning all about winter. We have explored the different weather that occurs in winter, compared to other seasons such as summer, and how that affects what clothing we wear. We had to decide whether different pieces of clothing were suitable to wear in winter or not, to keep us healthy, warm and safe.
We have also enjoyed finding out all about what hibernation is; including which animals hibernate, which season animals hibernate in and why they hibernate. We enjoyed listening to and completing activities based upon the story ‘Don’t Hog the Hedge’, which was all about hibernation. We then created our own hibernation plan and assembled a den to hibernate in!
We have also enjoyed learning about ice and snow. In our winter science lessons, we followed instructions to create our very own winter ice sun catchers
The children in Middle School are learning about the Vikings. Here are some links to video clips which will support learning.
Who were the Vikings?
Where did the Vikings come from?
The children in Middle School love to be active, here are some great Action Songs. Why not have a go together?
Next term the children in Middle School are due to be learning about rivers in their local area. Here are some ideas if you would like to have a look at the topic with your children in advance:
- Take your child to a local river and have a nice walk along it. Which direction is it flowing? How do you know? A game of ‘Pooh sticks’ is always fun!
- Observe the wildlife that lives near or on the river.
- Pop on a pair of wellie boots and have a paddle if it’s safe to do so.
- Consider the different uses of the river e.g. transport, leisure, flood control.
- Think about the journey of a river and introduce the terms ‘mouth’, ‘source’, ‘tributary’. Check out the ‘Pooh Bear’ smartboard which tracks the River Lee.
- This video clip follows the River Forth from source to sea https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/z8jtfg8.
World Book Day
The children in Middle School have enjoyed celebrating World Book Day. The children shared their favourite stories and wrote about them. The staff also dressed up and shared their favourite books. The children came to school dressed as different book characters and looked amazing! They all proudly modelled their outfits on a catwalk!!