Lower School – Lower ability
- Pupils respond to others with sounds and gestures.
- Pupils observe others speaking and then repeat and imitate/copy up to ten words, signs or familiar short phrases.
- Pupil responds appropriately to simple requests, which contain one key word, sign or symbol in familiar situations, e.g. “Get your coat”, “Stand up” or “Clap your hands”.
- They show some understanding of how books work, for example, turning pages and holding the book the right way up.
- Pupils match object to object.
- They make marks or symbols in their preferred mode of communication.
- Pupils make marks in a range of mediums and from a range of sensory stimuli.
- Pupils explore objects of a range of sizes, weights, temperature.
- Pupils listen to adults using words big, small, long, short, heavy, light, hot, cold.